Monday, July 14, 2008

Gadget Girl strikes again


So I have not had a mobile phone for the last 6 weeks. And surprisingly it has not been that hard..I first thought I may die, being so unreachable . Especially since I am a "gadget" girl. I had a smart phone in the US. I loved it sent hundreds of text messages a month, checked my email, synched my calendar, and maintained by finances... So when I got here I had to decide how much phone did I need. I knew I would not have many calls (friends and family can reach me via the magic jack (internet phone with a US number)). I figured I will get the occupational co-worker call or text and need a personal contact number. So I should get a basic phone...that would be the sensible thing to do....(I am soooo sensible)
I decided I need minimal minutes but I would have to have internet access on what ever mobile I get so I could run Skype on the phone. That way friends and family could call me when I was not at my computer (internet plans , actually all mobile phone plan in general are pretty reasonable here)....
I was resisting the desire to get a I-Phone (which I new would be available in NL soon). I bought a Mac book prior to coming to the Netherlands, and if I got anther smart phone I would want to be able to sync to it....Knowing the cost of the I-phone in the US, I decided on a Treo....However I found out the basic internet plans I was looking at would not be fast enough to run Skype...I could just get a basic phone or spurge on the I-Phone.
Sensibility is now almost completely faded. I had decided the I-Phone was much cheaper than I expected it to be (cheaper than the US). Plus it had the faster internet (G3), and was Skype compatible...
I-Phone was available in the Netherlands on Friday July 11. I rationalized that if there was not a line at the City Center T-Mobile (the only carrier in the Netherlands) on Friday morning I would get the I-Phone....
There was a line (small for US standards, but I knew they did not have enough phones for everyone there). I left, phone less...
I continued to stew at work that morning....I had been bitten by the gadget bug...I had to have it. With the help of a co-worker I order the phone over the net (I will have it in 6 weeks)....I got a prepaid phone till it comes (borrowing a co-workers unused phone ---NO ONE ask me why I could not continue to just use this phone)

No comments: