Monday, July 21, 2008

Ik spreek geen Nederlands


(Translation: I don't speak Dutch). How long will I get away with saying that? (Mind you I am not saying that, I say it in English). I currently trying to figure out my plans for learning the language here in the Netherlands. I am consistency asked " do you plan to learn Dutch?". I have been really considering that question in the past few days. I begin language lessons with a tutor on Wednesday. I need to understand what are my expectations. I don't really think I can become fluent in 2 years ( I could be wrong).
I have realized that me not speaking Dutch is a hindrance in making connections outside of work (a really big goal for me right now). I love my co-workers. They have been very welcoming, but I really want to make friends outside of work.
A big issue is that most people here speak in English, so it is really easy to get away with not learning the language. However I think at some point I need to move past being a visitor and tourist to resident (which by the way, I am officially a Dutch resident now, I have a card and everything).
I think I will focus on vocabulary and get some basic conversation skills (small talk). In addion, I think I will soon ask that my co-workers stop using English with me....

If they are reading this.....please let me get a couple of weeks of lessons under my belt, and be patient. I am practicing my "g" and "h" sounds and don't get me started on "v" versus "w"

No comments: