Wednesday, July 2, 2008

So I have been in the Netherlands for about 4 weeks...


Here are the things I love about the Netherlands:
1. Very helpfull and friendly people, who ever very understanding of the fact that I speak no Dutch
2. All prices (restaurants, stores, etc.) include taxes - you know right away how everything things cost
3. Public transportation goes everywhere and is very reliable (although it can be expensive)
4. Intermissions during movies - no more missing the critical part of movies because I bought a soda
5. Gummy Candy - need I say anything else?
6. Stroopwafels - If you haven't had one, see me when I come I home ( I will have gummy candy also)
7. Friday and Saturday market in the city center (it reminds me of a mix of the Madison Farmers market and the flea market)

A few things I could do without
1. It stays light out entirely too late -I will feel opposite in the winter, when I will only have 6 hrs of daylight
2. Expensive clothing and shoes -comparing to the US, prices are ridiculous here (not to mention big size numbers)
3. Stores close too early - EVERY CLOSES AT 6PM!! (and nothing is open on Sunday). Most stores are open late (until 9) on Thursday, this requires tons of planning. I am not that organized
4. You need an appointment for everything - I am now waiting a week to get an appointment to open a bank account (mind you they needed all of my information to get the appointment--JUST OPEN THE ACCOUNT)

I wonder if these lists will change the longer I am here. I expect I will change....

No comments: